This may be the dessert to end all desserts. The Churro Dog was first introduced to Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona in 2015. Back then, team chef Michael Snoke told ESPN that desserts do really well when paired with the Arizona heat. Since then, the Churro Dog has become one of the most recognizable ballpark eats. So, I of course had to try and re-create the simple sweet.
Just as it sounds, the Churro Dog is sweet take on a hot dog. The usual bun is replaced with a chocolate bar donut and the hot dog is replaced with a churro. Frozen yogurt, whipped cream, and chocolate and caramel syrup top the dog to complete the dish.
However, when it came to recreating this at home and during a pandemic, I had to make a few adjustments. The one large adjustment was substituting a churro for a cinnamon french toast roll-up.
Here’s how I did it;
- 2-4 pieces of bread
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2.5 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup milk
- Vanilla ice cream/ frozen yogurt
- Whipped cream
- Additional toppings of your choice (chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, etc.)
Making the “churro”
- Trim the crust off of your bread of choice. I recommend using two pieces of bread per donut bun.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the bread into the recommend 1/8 inch thickness.
- In a small bowl, create the spread by whisking together 1.5 tablespoons of softened/ just melted butter, 1.5 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together 1 egg and 1/8 cup of milk. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Set aside.
- Spread the cinnamon, sugar, and butter mix onto the rolled out bread.
- Immediately following, tightly roll the bread, pressing the end down to help keep the shape.
- Dip in the egg/milk mix and place in a buttered saucepan. Sauté each side for 1-2 minutes.
- Once done, sprinkle with dry mix of cinnamon and sugar.
Assembling the dog
- Cut the donut bun lengthwise.
- Place warm “churro” roll-up inside the donut.
- Top with vanilla ice cream
- (optional) Sprinkle with dry cinnamon and sugar mix
- Top with whipped cream
- Finish off with toppings of your choice, like chocolate syrup.
Here is the original/ full french toast rollup recipe.