Pin this for later!
Population: 1.7 million as of 2019
Name origin: While the origin of the name is unknown, it is believed that pioneer Darrell Duppa said the city will rise like a Phoenix after being deserted by the Hohokam people.
Surrounded by: Mountain ranges including the Superstition Ridgeline, the Goldfield Mountains, and the McDowell Mountains.
Fun Fact: Phoenix is the 5th largest growing city in the United States as of 2019.
Top things to do in the city;
- Hike, hike, hike
- Fly high in a hot air balloon
- Indulge in the Mesa Foodie Trail
- Visit the Desert Botanical Garden
Top things to do outside the city;
- Trek through the Saguaro National Park
- Wonder through Sedona’s red rock
- Take a trip back in time at the Pima National Monument
- See the castle in the hill at Montezuma Castle Park
Recommended places to eat;
- Diego Pops- Sassy, yet classy street-style tacos and margaritas
- Uncle Bears- Classic American that is very dog-friendly
- Barro’s Pizza- Casual, Chicago style pizza
- San Tan Flat- BBQ, live music, and personal fire pits
- Skeptical Chymist- this is Seahawks bar during football season
Hotels that have been recommended to me;
- The Saguaro Scottsdale
- Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
- The Phoenician
- Sheraton Mesa Hotel
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Phoenix Suns
Five things you need to know about the city;
- The “city” of Phoenix is quite spread out. The Greater Phoenix Area includes neighboring areas like Scottsdale, Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler.
- The weather does drop below freezing, causing plant-owners to cover their plants with a blanket-like sheet for colder temperatures.
- There are still areas where hitching up your horse is allowed.
- Arizona was the 48th state to join the United States. It is often referred to as State 48.
- Despite the snow-birds who vacation in Arizona in the winter, the average age of residents is 33.
All recommendations are my own. Feel strongly about having something added? Let me know!