Welcome to the city that never sleeps! With so much to do, see, and eat, I understand why you’d never want to sleep. Here is my comprehensive overview to visiting New York City!
All recommendations are my own. Feel strongly about having something added? Let me know!
Population: 8.7 million as of 2020
Name origin: The Duke of York, who later became King James II of England & King James VIII of Scotland.
Surrounded by: Many waterways including Hudson River, East River, and Jamaica Bay. Hudson River divides New York and New Jersey.
Fun fact: Times Square was only referred to as such after The New York Times moved into the area. It was first dubbed Longacre Square.
Top things to do in the city;
- Stand on top of the Empire State Building
- Or on Top of the Rock
- Visit the Statue of Liberty
- Walk The High Line
- Look at the lights of Times Square
- See a show on Broadway
- Trek across the Brooklyn Bridge
- Pay your respects at Ground Zero
- Shop in the Oculus
- Meander through Central Park
- Brave the hustle and bustle of Grand Central Station
- Browse Chelsea Market
Recommended places to eat;
- Dough Donuts
- The Bagel Store
- Black Tap
Just like most major cities, learning how to use the subway is key.