Welcome to New England! This is a super simple and sweet treat that is often consumed at Fenway Park. The best part about making this at home is you can top it with whatever you’d like! If you have a sweet tooth like me, I recommend ice cream, caramel/ chocolate sauce, and sprinkles!
Check out these Boston sweet spots.
Original recipe: Eat Boutique
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup sparkling water, preferably Italian
- vegetable oil
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- With hands, work butter into dry ingredients until no large chunks are noticeable. It will look like small breadcrumbs.
- Warm the sparkling water in pot over medium heat for 1 minute (or do it for 20-30 seconds in a microwave). Add the warmed sparkling water to the flour mixture and work into a loose dough. Cover with a tea towel and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 8 even pieces. Roll each piece out until very thin.
- In a frying pan with tallish sides, add enough oil to go about 1/4 inch up side of pan. Turn on medium heat. When drop of water sizzles in oil, add 1 piece of dough. Cook 1-2 minutes until golden colored. Turn over and cook another minute. Place on paper towel and cook remaining dough one by one.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in 150 degree oven. Top with your favorite topping.
Did you try this recipe? Let me know!